List of governor general of India UPSC jkupdate
British territories were broadly divided into administrative units called Presidencies. There were three Presidencies: Bengal, Madras and Bombay. Each was ruled by a Governor. The supreme head of the administration was the Governor-General. Warren Hastings, the first Governor-General, introduced several administrative reforms, notably in the sphere of justice.
This article will inform you about all the relevant information about the first Governor-General of Bengal, various Governors-General of India, their achievements, and the major reforms that took place during their tenure as the Governors-General or viceroys of India.
list of viceroy in India
Governors-General of India
|Governors-General of India
|Lord William Bentinck
- First Governor-General of India (Charter Act of 1833 made Governor-General of Bengal as Governor-General of India.)
- Abolition of Sati
- Suppression of Thugee, infanticide and child sacrifices.
- English Education Act of 1835
- Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata
|Lord Charles Metcalfe
- ‘Liberator of the Indian press
- detached all restraints on an open press
- Dedicated himself to the improvement of native schools and the expansion of the commercial industry of India
- The first Anglo-Afghan war
|Lord Hardinge I
|Lord Dalhousie (Governors-General of India)
- introduced ‘ Doctrine of Lapse
- Doctrine of Good
- Charles Wood Dispatch
- Post Office Act, 1854
- 1st Railway line connecting Bombay and Thane
- Established engineering college in Roorkee
- Second Anglo-Sikh War
- First telegraph line
- Establishment of the Public Works Department
- Abolition of titles and pensions.
- Started Competitive examination for Indian Civil Services
- Widow Remarriage Act
- Three universities at Calcutta, Madras and Bombay in 1857 were established
- Revolt of 1857 took place
- Note – Post-1857 Revolt, Governor-General of India was made Viceroy of British India and Canning became the first Viceroy of India/British India.
Frequently Asked Questions on Governor-General of India
Q 1. Who was the first Governor-General of Bengal?
Ans. The first Governor-General of Bengal was Warren Hastings with tenure of office from 1772-1785.
Q 2. Who was the first Governor-General of British India?
Ans. William Bentick was the first Governor-General of British India. It was after the Charter Act of 1833 was passed that the Governor-General of Bengal was made the Governor-General of British India.